ASGL seniors frantically revise their UC essays before submission

Back to Article
Back to Article

ASGL seniors polished their UC applications Thursday in the Fulfillment Fund office as the due date neared in just 24 hours.

“I would say that the essays are one of the most impactful parts of the application,” claimed Mrs. Lee, a Fulfillment Fund counselor. “It’s where the applicant can show personal traits that can help the reader get a sense of who you are apart from just the numbers.”

Many students have taken the opportunity to receive help from the Fulfillment Fund counselors, and have gone through numerous drafts to finally sit in front of their laptops with their final drafts smiling at them, waiting for submission.

“It has to be personal,” responded Mr. Oh, ASGL English teacher.

Students were told to look over their brainstorming sheet they created a few weeks ago, checking to see if they didn’t deviate from their original “thesis” they had in mind. Those who were over the 350 word count found it easy to delete paragraphs that didn’t really address the prompt, and those who were over the word count found it easy to expand upon paragraphs that well-addressed the prompt.

“You should always stay away from sounding cliché!” exclaimed Mr. Colon, ASGL English teacher.

While getting their final edits from Ms. Lee, Mr. Colon, Mr. Alvarez, and Mr. Hoh, students received a lot of comments regarding phrases that seemed to be cliché. Looking confused as to what those comments meant, the students all found themselves asking the Ms. Lee and the teachers about how they should go about editing specific phrases. They all replied in a similar manner of, “being cliché is not what you write about; it’s how you write of a specific incident.” Finally understanding, students proceeded to rephrase their cliché phrases.

“Don’t feel like you have to respond in a dry manner to the prompts,” said Mrs. Lee. “Maybe start off by telling us a brief account of the experience you are going to talk about in the essay.”

Judging by their brainstorming sheet and essay draft, I realized that the students have basically elaborated upon their outline — not adding any juicy details, or any personal insights. Receiving guidance from Mrs. Lee, they started to transform their “dry” response into narrative-like responses with a detailed takeaway towards the end.

As each student came to an end in revising their essays, they all nervously clicked on the submit button, putting their laptops away with a smile.

“I’m so glad that I’m done with my UC application,” chuckled Phoebe Kang, ASGL senior.

When students and teachers started leaving at 8:00 p.m., as they have submitted their applications, the help-session was adjourned. Some people sighed in relief on having an immense weight off their shoulders, but others were dreading having to now complete their applications for private schools.