BuzzKill

Survey on universal basic income

Back to Article
Back to Article

Survey on universal basic income

Andrew Yang, a potential Democratic presidential candidate, is on the run for a universal basic income last week on a interview with Timothy Hans at RB News Network.

Yang believes when every citizen gets certain amount of money free it would be able to create millions of jobs around the country for families and individuals within the labor workforce.

His platform is cooperating with Freedom Dividend, which would give every American $1,000 every month and would be equivalent to $12,000 per year.

The real question is how would Americans consider this idea? Would they consider this idea based on socialism? Yang believes that putting money into peoples’ hands is good for business, it is good for the economy, it is good for the markets.

So when he says that it is good for local economy, he means it will benefit local businesses assuming that Americans will use these money to buy their goods locally. Therefore, it is great for the mainstream economy, eventually skyrocketing the stock market in businesses.

When the news reporter responded stating that it is ultimately the government still handling out the money, would Americans be curious of government intervene? Yang asserts that it is growing rich businesses’ duty to pay employees well and treat them well.

Yang is saying in order for citizens to be treated well, the federal government should provide money for them to bring businesses back more jobs, thus increasing the market economy.

Universal Basic Income (UBI) is a form of governmental program that guarantees a certain amount of money to every citizen within a governed population, lending guaranteed payments of $1,000 per month, or $12,000 per yer to all citizens over 18 years old.

Regardless of income or employment status, every U.S. citizen over the age of 18 would receive $1,000 per month, free and clear, starting in 2021. There are some good benefits of universal basic income.

UBI can improve the mental health of people because it reduces conditions of scarcity, poverty, and financial insecurity. It can also provide physical health benefits, people are less prone to diseases, stresses, and self-destructive behavior.

We asked teachers and students at the Ambassador School of Global Leadership on March 08 2019 for their position on universal basic income. There are 2 ways of evaluating their position on their view on universal basic income.

Firstly, is whether they disagree or agree with universal basic income. Secondly, we asked questions of their position. Three questions will be monitored as a report to evaluate their position. First question was do you think the norm of governmental aid lending $1,000 to every American per month is based on socialism?

Second question was if this was happening now, what will you spend it on? EX: Saving up money for investment in innovate technologies, or buying goods at your local business store? Last question was why do you disagree or agree with this governmental aid program?

Here were some of our reports:

(Supporters of this legislation)

“I do think universal basic income is a good idea, because it will wipe out financial insecurity and it will be great for families, which will provide certain family benefits.” – Meo Cantiller (11th grade student)

“The reason why I agree with this method, is particularly because families will be able to enjoy the benefits and we can use it on buying certain things that we might need.” – Shawn Bautista (10th grade student)

“I do think universal basic income is a good idea because it bring families back to stable financial state, so it is important for the income to be set appropriately.” – Justeen Bautista (12th grade student)

(Opposers of this legislation)

“I have not really heard about this method, however, I believe that universal basic income is particularly not a great idea because the country needs a type of taxation aid where the rich should pay more taxes  than the poor paying more taxes.” – Mr. Gairola ( Model United Nation Teacher and Counseling)