Why did we only get $135 for Pennies for Patients?

ASGL National Honor Society members went around to each Global Seminar classroom last Tuesday to collect all donations made in the past couple months for Pennies for Patients, a cause for raising money for patients diagnosed with leukemia and lymphoma.

Members trudged back up to Mr. Oh’s classroom to count the total donations made by students and staff with dull expressions.

“Most of the boxes I collected from classrooms on the second floor were either empty or had less than a dollar,” sighed Zachary Kim.

This year’s participation rate for Pennies for Patients was shockingly low. As a result, the total donations made from last year decreased from a whopping $500 to a measly $135. As NHS members made their way to the last few classrooms, they predicted that the five yet-to-be-collected boxes would have donations that would amount to less than $5. Was their prediction accurate? Yes.

“What happened to this year’s Pennies for Patients? Why did we get a low amount of money relative to previous years?” gasped Sophia Kim.

Well, here are a few possible justifications from various students as to why:

“We as a society are pretty selfish. We don’t really feel the need to help out with something unless it affects us directly,” said Dalida Farias.

Students, rather most people, turn a blind eye on crucial issues that are affecting individuals’ lives because it doesn’t hit them as hard. One reason why the NHS club hasn’t collected as many donations compared to previous years might be because of the lack of care from today’s generation. Children these days are so consumed with superficial matters and care more about the feud between James Charles and Tati Westbrook, rather than focusing on how we can make a change in this world for the better.

“When I went to the classrooms, teachers seem to have forgotten about the Pennies for Patients box, and some even forgot where they put the box,” said Anne Gascon.

Teachers aren’t fully responsible for encouraging students to donate for a great cause, but seeing that they forgot where the box was, tells us that not even an ounce of interest went to making donations for leukemia and lymphoma patients. Sometimes, the priorities we are consumed with makes us forget that being of help to those in need doesn’t take a whole day worth of activities; it takes just a couple minutes each day.

“NHS members didn’t do an efficient job of going to each Global Seminar classroom to remind them of the purpose of this cause and encouraging them to make donations,” said Victoria Cruz.

Usually, based on previous years, NHS members went to each of the Global Seminar classrooms at least once a week to collect donations. But this year, members didn’t really go to classrooms often. Maybe not reminding and kindly forcing students to donate a dollar they would have spent on chips may have had an effect on the low amount of donations received in total.

While there is no concrete answer as to why ASGL has not done a great job of collecting as many donations relative to previous years, the aforementioned justifications may be a factor in this yet-to-be-answered question.